Like most people, there are aspects of my life that are contradictory. Although I was born in North Carolina, I grew up in Delmar, New York, a small town near Albany. After graduating from high school, I returned to the Tarheel State to attend college at UNC-Chapel Hill. I then went to Wake Forest Law School. Even growing up in New York, I felt like a southerner.
When I first started practicing law, most of my practice involved trials in court. Since becoming certified as a Superior Court Mediator, a Family Financial Mediator and Parenting Coordinator, I see litigation differently. Both mediation and litigation are methods of resolving disputes. With litigation, other people decide your dispute. With mediation, the parties decide the outcome of the dispute. Recognizing this has made me a more result-oriented lawyer. I want to help my clients get through difficult times with as little stress and cost as possible while still seeking to achieve my clients’ goals. I firmly believe that a lawyer can be a strong and effective advocate for his clients while still maintaining a professional, respectful and courteous approach to the practice of law. I currently focus my practice on the areas of Family Law, Mediation, Parenting Coordination, Collections and Collaborative Family Law.
When I am not working, I am a musician, a cook, a traveler and someone who loves his family, his dogs and the mountains of this beautiful State. If you want to know more about me, please see the fine print below. If I can help you with your legal needs please contact me.
The Fine Print:
- Admitted to N.C. State Bar 1988
- Admitted to Virginia State Bar 1989
- Admitted to Practice before the following Courts:
- All state courts in North Carolina & Virginia
- Federal District Court for Eastern District of Virginia and North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina and Eastern District of Virginia
- DRC Certified Superior Court Mediator since 2000
- DRC Certified Family Financial Mediator since 2007
- North Carolina Parenting Coordinator since 2014
- North Carolina State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- North Carolina Association of Professional Family Mediators
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Collaborative Divorce Association of Eastern Carolina